Export to Kenya
exports to Kenya increased due to the continuous development of the Kenyan economy, the top imported goods are Iron, vehicles, home appliances, chemicals & detergents, and refined oil.
the Kenyan Bureau of Standards (KEBS) set a group of rules to regulated the issuance of a Certificate of Conformity for regulated products before import them into Kenya markets which is known by The Pre Export Verification of Conformity (PVOC) Program
Import to Kenya
To import any commodity into Kenya, an importer will have to enlist the services of a clearing agent who will process the import documentation through Kenya Customs electronically on the Simba 2005 system and clear the goods on your behalf.
An import declaration fee (IDF) of 2.25% of the CIF Value subject to a minimum of 5,000.00 Kenyan Shillings is payable. Customs will assess duty payable depending on the value of the item(s) and the duty rate applicable. The East African Community Common External Tariff laying out the duty rates of imported items is available.
Kenya has a pre-shipment inspection requirement (the Pre-Shipment Verification of Conformity, or PVoC) for exports destined for Kenya. Exports to Kenya must also obtain an additional Import Standards Mark (ISM), which must be affixed to a list of sensitive imported products sold in Kenya.
For a small number of health, environmental, and security imports, import licenses are required. Imports of machinery and equipment classified as equity capital or loan purchases must be received prior to exchange approval; local banks will not issue shipping guarantees for clearance of imports in the absence of such approval. All imports procured by Kenyan-based importers must be insured with companies licensed to conduct business in Kenya. Importation of animals, plants, and seeds is subject to quarantine regulations.
All Kenyan imports are required to have the following documents: Import Declaration Forms (IDF); a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) from the PVoC agent for regulated products; an import standards mark (ISM) when applicable; and valid pro forma invoices from the exporting firm.
Pre Export Verification of Conformity (PVOC) Program
it is a conformity assessment scheme applied to the regulated products and should be implemented at the exporting country, so before export to Kenya you should seek PVOC Raw materials
- Machinery and Spares part imported by registered local factories
- Goods hold the Diamond Mark of quality certification
- Products by importers qualified for exemption
Procedure for PVOC program
to comply with PVOC program requirements, goods should show compliant with Kenyan standards and this could be proved by:
- inspection of products at exporting country
- collect sampling
- test products at accredited laboratories according to ISO/IEC 17025
- conduct a factory audit
why choose export2gulf
- export2gulf has strong experience in the Kenya PVOC program
- past experience in exporting from UK, USA, China, Pakistan, Egypt …etc to Kenya
- a strong experience in international trade rules and regulation
- a wide network of accredited laboratories, certification bodies & shipping agency
- commercial invoice
- shipping document (Bill of Lading/Air Way Bill/ CMR…)
- Technical file contents (laboratory test report, quality certificates, analysis reports, etc.) provided by exporters, as per technical requirements
- Import Declaration Form